Thursday, October 30, 2008

Song of the day

"Hang On To Your Love", by Sade. I fell in love with the album "Diamond Life" when it was first released, in 1984. It wasn't like anything else around at the time, and, as is so often the case, that difference was what made it interesting (I think a similar case can be made regarding the immediate impact of The Smiths, but maybe we won't go there). But three years is a long time when you are in your early twenties, and by 1987 I was on a diet of Sonic Youth, and Husker Du, and Einsturzende Neubauten, and Minutemen, and, well, to say that there was no room there for Sade it a slight understatement.

But now it's 2008, and she has come back into my life. I thought this would, like much of the music of the middle 1980s, sound horribly dated, but to my surprise it doesn't. "Timeless", well, perhaps not quite, but there's nothing that ties it to a particular moment in time. It goes down like the finest Scotch. Okay, now that my credibility is in tatters I will shut up.