Monday, October 13, 2008

Song of the day

"Money", by The Flying Lizards. (What else?)

On Friday afternoon I suggested to Adrienne that she pull a couple of hundred dollars out of the bank "just to be on the safe side". Well, the previous couple of days had seen global financial madness on, I suspect, an unprecedented scale, and with an entire weekend for all kinds of monetary sores to fester and, perhaps, erupt (sorry), it seemed to me about the only form of insurance we could take out. We also paid all outstanding moneys on our credit card, and so for a wondrous period of about 15 hours we were Debt Free.

I know (and knew) that I was being ridiculous (what, we were going to Rule The World on two hundred dollars in cash?), and that it was totally unnecessary. But so was what Kevin Rudd did yesterday afternoon in guaranteeing Australian bank deposits. So I figure that Kevin and I are about even now.

And speaking of things spiralling out of control, we sat down with the boys to watch "Mousehunt" yesterday. That is a completely insane, but oddly compelling, film. The mouse is clearly the star of the show, but it also features Nathan Lane, best known to me as the voice of the Littles' cat in the "Stuart Little" films; and Lee Evans, who was great in Peter Chelsom's underrated "Funny Bones" and who we don't get to see enough of these days. (I was going to say of Peter Chelsom "Where is he now?" but OMG he's directing "Hannah Montana: The Movie". Oh well.)