Monday, October 27, 2008

I see it, but I don't believe it

Sitting in the fridge, at work, is a "tube" of Vegemite - that is, something that looks like a toothpaste tube and bearing the distinctive yellow-and-red colouring we have come to know and love. As someone who does not regularly frequent supermarkets, watch commercial television or peruse junk mail (JB Hi-Fi catalogues excepted) I must say that I was stunned to see this. Vegemite comes in glass jars. That's what it is and what it does. The glass jar and metal lid can be recycled. The minuscule amounts of Vegemite the purists recommend can be dispensed with precision by way of the end of a knife, and have been for countless (well, a few anyway) generations. Crikey. How many of our best scientific minds went into this Technological Innovation - which allows for any amount of wastage of the product (how do you stuff excess Vegemite back into the little hole?) and alleviates the pressure on bursting recycling bins by coming in non-recyclable plastic? What is wrong with a glass jar and a metal lid, I ask you. I must be getting old.