Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Song of the day

"Find My Ghost (Dntel Remix)", by Sally Shapiro. What the second remix CD of songs from Sally Shapiro's "Disco Romance" album lacks in big-name desk jockeys, it makes up for in the synth and drum-machine sounds of the early 1980s. And that is never a bad thing. SSL and Alexander Robotnick are channelling New Order. The Russian Futurists convert "I'll Be By Your Side" into a Magnetic Fields song (I'm not so sure about this, but then whenever I hear the original my heart melts, and I'm not sure there is any way to improve on that). Dntel go in a slightly different direction. It sounds of a piece with what little Dntel I have heard, but I like all of that, and I like this too. You get skittery, defocussed drum sounds, some nice dub inflections, heavily FXed vocals (some of which remind me strongly of something that just won't come to me - unless it's lurking in some obscure corner of "Hounds of Love", perhaps) and, in keeping with the eighties theme, some ever so slightly off analog synths that make me think of pre-"Dare" Human League.