Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Song of the day

"Another Knife In My Back", by One-Two-Three. Influences run back and forth: ABC's "Poison Arrow" draws on many sources, soul music and, more generally, the dance floor among them. The person who made "Another Knife In My Back" (viz, Bobby Orlando) must have listened to "Poison Arrow" at some point in its creation (the similarities are too strong to be coincidence). And in turn, this is the music, if not the specific song, that New Order must have been filtering when they wrote "Blue Monday" and, especially, "Confusion". Others with knowledge might be able to connect specific dots. I am only telling what I hear. New York. 1983.

[postscript: the more I look the more I find - firstly, it may or may not be a fact that New Order brought legal action against Orlando for supposedly borrowing the bass line from "Blue Monday" for a song he did with Divine, "Love Reaction" (also released in 1983); secondly, Jellybean Benitez mixed both "Confusion" and "Another Knife In My Back" - so I'm not just hearing things]