Thursday, October 09, 2008

Random Walk

It is, perhaps, appropriate that, in the middle of this strange but compelling exercise in global financial mayhem, the next song to struggle up to the surface of Darren's Pile of Songs is by a group called the Rogue Traders. The song is called "Way To Go". It has the heaviest guitars I think I have ever heard in a pop song. It's a bit like listening to the Stooges mashed up with, I don't know, let's say Girls Aloud. (In fact, the Soulwax people once did a similar thing to startling effect, squashing "No Fun" into Salt'n'Pepa's "Push It". Or perhaps it was the other way around.) Come to think of it, this song does remind me of "Push It", for reasons I can't quite put a finger on. It also borrows, rather well, from New Order's "Blue Monday". And there's a hint of Cheap Trick synth in there as well. In other words, what's not to like?