Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Song of the day

"It's Magic", by Pilot. Because I am in the middle of reading a piece by Adam Gopnik, from a recent issue of the New Yorker (what else?), about the place of the magician in the modern world, or some such thing. It's a good article, actually: it could do with being about five times longer. Maybe he'll turn it into a book. It would make a good book, too. Anyway, in it he mentions Tannen's Magic, a shop in New York where magicians hang out, a bit, I suppose, like the Warhammer shop here in Canberra is a place for "enthusiasts" to hang out. It then dawned on me that this very same shop, Tannen's, plays a small but pivotal role in Michael Chabon's "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay", which I am still slowly making my way through, (a) because I am a very slow reader, (b) because reading is what I do for a living, and it's sometimes hard to front up in the evening for more words on paper, and (c) because it's such a fine damn book that it will be a shame to get to the end of it. It has moved from an inventive and entertaining story to something altogether broader, and deeper. You should read it.

Nothing to do with "It's Magic", by Pilot, of course, but we like to throw in gratuitous references to 1970s pop songs whenever we get a chance. It's probably in Darren's list of songs. If so, I'll perhaps have more to say about it on another occasion.