Saturday, September 21, 2013

Voices Inside My Head

Boys and girls, you are about to enter a frightening world: the corner of my brain that injects fragments of lost songs into the centre of my thoughts, and thus drives me to distraction figuring out just what exactly the hell That Song Is.

Today's sample:

1. "Because I Love You", by Master's Apprentices.



Apostrophe horror: the album cover whence this song springs says "Master's Apprentices", so that's what we're going with. Discogs has them as The Master's Apprentices. Their own web site (although who knows who's behind it?) has Masters Apprentices, as does Wikipedia (as of today, anyway), although with a "The" at the front. It's such a worry. (As is the appearance of "It's" at the start of the song title according to the credits produced for the "Rage" clip, embedded above. It, too, doesn't seem to actually be in the name of the song.)

Anyhow the words "Do what you wanna do, be what you wanna be, yeah" have been swimming around in my head. I almost can't believe (except I can, because Stupid happens to be my middle name)  that I struggled to place them in this, probably one of the great Australian rock songs. I figured it was probably The Hollies. (They should take that as a compliment, obviously.)

2. "Rollin' Dany", by The Fall.



In which The Fall do Rockabilly, taking a Gene Vincent song and absolutely killing it. Happy for this to get stuck in my head for days (while "Cruiser's Creek" takes a well-deserved break).

3. "Yon Yonson", by The Dave Howard Singers.



I have absolutely no idea. Wouldn't have heard it in 25 years. God, in 1987 I was on a solid diet of The Cannanes and Beat Happening. Wait, no, that was 1988. 1987 was Sonic Youth, Husker Du, Swans, Neubauten. But certainly not this: Herbie Hancock's "Rockit" (now there's a tune) coupled with a nonsense rhyme that the internet attributes to Kurt Vonnegut. The 12-inch version goes for eight minutes. Eight. Go figure.