Thursday, January 17, 2013

Song of the day

"I Don't Owe You Anything", by Sandie Shaw.

Why am I making you listen to this?, you ask. Well, first off, Sandie doesn't make too bad a fist of this Smiths song (her take on "Hand in Glove", I'm sorry to say, is awful). But mainly, I have been listening to this song in order to demonstrate something Johnny Marr said recently about how Smiths songs were made. It seems that, unlike most guitar bands, the songs weren't built upon the bass and drums. Rather, the structure of Smiths songs centred around the guitar and the bass. Listening again to a random assortment of Smiths songs with that in mind, I can hear what he was getting at. But it may be that to hear it properly you have to have Morrissey bound and gagged and placed in a box in the corner. You know, just for a couple of minutes. Give it a try. Morrissey won't mind. Much.