Thursday, August 20, 2009

High Rotation (Junior Edition)

The boys watched "Barnyard" on the weekend. It resembled no farm I have ever seen: even the man cows (that'd be "bulls") had udders. Watching an uddered man cow strumming an acoustic guitar and singing the Johnny Cash version of "I Won't Back Down" was, frankly, more than I was prepared for. However, it did pave the way for the eleven-year-old to become interested in the sound of the twilight of Johnny Cash's voice. The other song that the boys won't let go of, also from the movie, is "Boombastic", by Shaggy, which takes you back to the days of jungle and dancehall. It doesn't do that much for me but it has a nice rhythm. That should be "riddim", I suppose.

We also don't seem to be able to get enough of the 8-Bit remix of "Hell Yes", by Beck, from his album of "Guero" remixes, "Guerolito". The remix album has grown on me in direct proportion to the way the original album has also grown on me. There is something about Beck that makes it easy to listen to the same songs over and over. Which is pretty lucky for us, really. Because that's what we tend to do.