Friday, May 22, 2009

Traffic

What follows is the text of an email I sent today to the person in charge of pedestrian crossings in the ACT. If you are driving in this area, please take care. I would like to watch my children grow up.

Good afternoon.

I work at the High Court. I travel most days by public transport. To catch the bus home of an evening, I have to use the pedestrian crossing opposite the Court on King Edward Terrace. Each of the last three evenings, I have had to take evasive action when using the crossing, in order to avoid being run over.

Twice I have been half way or more across the crossing when cars travelling west have failed to see me or stop (each time they have slowed down after having gone past me, but then kept going). Last night I had stepped out onto the crossing when a car travelling east failed to see me in time and had to swerve into the oncoming traffic to avoid hitting me. (Then, while I was waiting at the bus stop, I observed a man crossing the other way, i.e. from Finance towards the Court, have to stop in the middle of the crossing as two cars in a row failed to either see or stop for him.)

This is not the only time I have had to take evasive action using this crossing, but the fact of it happening three nights in a row prompted me to put my concerns in writing. It is only a matter of time before somebody is killed using this crossing. That person may or may not be me. I don't know what the problem is, the crossing appears to be well lit. Perhaps it is not being noticed because it is in the middle of a sequence of closely placed T intersections, so drivers have a lot to look out for.

Perhaps it needs flashing lights or something else that would attract drivers' attention.

Thank you


(This reminds me of the famous Pauline Hanson "If you are watching this message" tape. "If this is the last entry on this weblog, I was killed this evening on my way home from work." Let's hope not.)