Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Song of the day

"Put Down The Ducky", I suppose I should say "by Sesame Street", but that doesn't look right. And yet it is a Sesame Street song. For some reason the boys, in their later primary school years, are having a SS revival, so we are hearing many old favourites (and the occasional clanger) in the car. Sesame Street was responsible for a great many songs that have stood the test of time. Which is something you can't say for, say, Hi-5. "Put Down The Ducky", Carl tells me, is sung by Hoots the Owl. If so, Tom Waits should be instructing his lawyers. This is, in essence, the pre-"Swordfishtrombones" Waits, accompanied by a rubber duck where the saxophone should be. I can't hear it too many times. (Though if you ask me again in a fortnight I may have a different view on that.)