Tuesday, March 17, 2009

A couple of interviews with Mr Alan Moore

Here

and

here.

It's always fun to immerse yourself in a few Alan Moore interviews. It is something of an Energizer Bunny experience: switch him on and watch him go. (I once heard him interviewing Brian Eno for a BBC radio series. He may have allowed Eno to get a word in edgeways.) The Wired interview, in particular, is a good example of Moore in full flight, because of its length as well as its breadth and depth.

The thing I like about hearing (well, reading) Alan Moore go off is that he is, for someone who operates so far outside of the mainstream of society that his closest contemporary might be the Unabomber, remarkably rational and sensible in the way he sees the world and in the things he says. Why not reject Hollywood's overtures, if to do so is a principled objection and not a publicity stunt? Also, he seems to be simultaneously aware of his own stature (and justifiably proud of his work) while acknowledging that the medium he works in is predominantly (historically and in a post-"Watchmen" world) entertainment for (male) juveniles and misfits.

I saw the short for the "Watchmen" movie. (It ran before "Slumdog Millionaire". I reckon Danny Boyle has read a comic book or two in his time.) I have no intention of seeing it. But I did want to get a feel for how the film makers would make the world of the Watchmen look, and I can't say I was disappointed on that score. Still, I would much rather read the series for the, what, fourth time than watch a movie of it. And I didn't need to read Alan Moore's views to reach that conclusion.