Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Song of the day

"Shake It Off", by Wilco. I still have no idea what lay behind the negative response across the Internet to Wilco's "Sky Blue Sky". As the year has gone on, my love for it has only grown stronger, to the point where I now have my very own copy. (!) (It even comes with a "bonus" DVD, which I will, in accordance with normal practice, assume - at least until I watch it - to be entirely useless.) Perhaps you have to be as old as, or older than, Jeff Tweedy to really appreciate where this album is coming from. Perhaps you need to be well versed in Television's "Marquee Moon" and other records of that era and ilk. Perhaps it just wasn't "experimental" enough for some people's liking. (Whatever that might mean. To my ears at least, the album is anything but straight four on the floor.) Perhaps end-of-year results will show that it has been a "grower".

Anyway, "Shake It Off" just jumped into my head, so it must be the song of the day.