Saturday, April 21, 2007

Obsession

At the moment (and, contrary to what you might think, this does happen from time to time), no matter what I am listening to, I would rather be listening to "From Here We Go Sublime" by The Field. Unless, that is, what I am listening to is "From Here We Go Sublime" by The Field, in which case, well, y'know, it's not such a problem.

I am unable to be particularly articulate about modern electronic music, as I have no usable substratum of listening to draw upon: my knowledge has jumped directly from 1982 to 2007. What I like about this record is its complete lack of focus; the way ghosts of songs (did somebody say "hauntology"?) appear at the periphery of vision, never quite clearly manifesting themselves. It also has a Fennesz-like way of constructing melody where you swear there are only collections of noise. (And wasn't I saying the same thing 20 years ago in relation to Sonic Youth and Husker Du? Except there the noise came from distorted guitars and feedback, whereas The Field gets it from machinery.)

Having said all that, the Number One song at our house at the moment is "Eye Of The Tiger" by Survivor.