Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Start Me Up

I listened to "Map of What Is Effortless", last year's album by Telefon Tel Aviv, several times at work (through crappy PC speakers, admittedly) without being particularly impressed beyond the opening instrumental and the previously mentioned "My Week Beats Your Year" (and now I know why I have been so taken by that song: the singer sounds just like Scarlett Johansson in "Lost In Translation" [sigh]). I put it on at home last night, after the kids had gone to sleep, and I played it at a suitably loud volume through the home stereo, and it has become an entirely different beast. And I am now so consumed by the last song, "At The Edge Of The World You Will Still Heal", that I can feel it taking over my entire body. I wouldn't exactly say I hate it when this happens, but I am always totally amazed and it is always so unexpected. Now I am scared to listen to it again.