Thursday, March 31, 2005

The one that got away

I can't believe that Rockwiz snuck under the radar. I am heavily indebted to Jim and Josie for setting me straight.

Rockwiz is filmed at the Gershwin Room, one of the (and perhaps the) seediest band venues in all of Melbourne, if not the world; it opens with an outside shot of the Esplanade Hotel, a view I have taken in probably thousands of times, going for walks around St Kilda in a previous life; last week's show featured none other than Robert Forster, who is one of a small handful of personal Icons of Australian Music; in relation to one of the members of the house band, I worked with his brother many many years ago - he manned the sleepy Phillip Island branch office of the law firm I worked for then, wherefrom he was able to regularly knock off in the early afternoon to go surfing; another member of the house band was in the Models, whom I have seen play live more times than any other band; and two people I know were in the audience - Edgar I saw on camera twice, but my eyes weren't fast enough to spot Dave Brown, who was apparently on screen at the same time.

That's the next few Saturday nights stitched up, then.