Friday, September 17, 2010

Filmworks Haiku Series

Regular followers (both of you) would be aware that I am endeavouring to keep pace with John Zorn on his 2010 album-a-month mini-marathon. I had, it may be recalled, previously embarked upon the foolish task of writing something about all of his Filmworks releases. I stalled at "Filmworks XVI: Workingman's Death". Aware, as I am, that there is a new Filmworks a-comin', and troubled, as I am, by things getting out of sequence, it seems that I am now required to cover seven Filmworks releases in short succession.

You don't want to read essays on these things. You either already have them, couldn't care less, or have made up your mind already. So I present the first instalment of the John Zorn Filmworks Haiku Series.

Starting with: "Filmworks XVII" (on the Tzadik catalogue it doesn't have a subtitle).

Voodoo percussion
Ribot gets his reverb on
And Zorn plays the sax

(Series to be continued, god damn it.)