Friday, February 06, 2009

Things I Learnt Today

Catching up (slowly) on Tom Ewing's admirable Popular, and in particular the fascinating comments threads that append each entry. (If you want an example of the Internet hive-mind operating at its fullest potential, this is surely it.)

Tom has motored along to 1981, but I am still reading my way through 1975. And, in particular, the entry relating to 10CC's "I'm Not In Love". There I discovered two things relating to 70s popsters Fox:

1. Noosha Fox, the band's singer and focal point, had a previous life as an Australian folk singer, real name Susan Traynor.

2. The backing band was basically the same band that later, as Yellow Dog, had a big hit, in Australia at least, called "Just One More Night".

This latter is the type of factoid that gets me all hot and bothered (erm, any mention of Noosha Fox does that, actually). I was, and still am, in love with Fox's big single, "S-s-s-single Bed" (although as a naive youngster I had no idea what the song was really about). I was also, as a 13- or 14-year-old, hugely in love with "Just One More Night" (subtext, or text really, again, totally beyond me). I thought the spoken-word bits, especially right at the end where the singer phones in yet more pleading and whining, were the funniest thing ever committed to record. Listening to the song again today (thanks, Darren) I can see how wrong I was. But you can see how humour can work across generations: Jules was listening in, and also found much to laugh at.

(And as a further aside, in 1974 Ray Stevens had a big hit with "The Streak", which, similarly, my friend Weary and I were frequently in stitches while listening to, or singing, in the school ground. It, too, has been exposed by the passage of time as a terrible, terrible song, and yet since its recent discovery by our boys it has been on unpleasantly high rotation. "I said, 'Don't look, Ethel', but it was too late." Oh ho ho.)

(Actually, the first time I went to a day of Test cricket was with Weary and his mum, at the time when the streaking thing was first happening. We were less interested in watching the cricket than in trying to be the closest to the binoculars in case some drunken naked reprobate made a dash for the central playing area. It didn't happen.)