Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Song of the day

"Auntie's Lock/Infinitum", by Flying Lotus.

Young Marble Giants. Julee Cruise's ground-breaking work with Angelo Badalamenti. "From Gardens Where We Feel Secure" by Virginia Astley. If these be a part of your musical stock in trade, you might just be stopped in your tracks by this totally gorgeous piece of musical driftwood, washing up at the tail end of an album ("Los Angeles") that, as a whole, requires repeated listening to fully reveal its charms (I'm not quite there yet), and certainly doesn't lead you to expect that it will end like this. In other words, I have a feeling Marcello Carlin would have words to say about this track. I should also thank SF-J (yet again) for alerting me to a record I might not otherwise have pursued (although its being on Warp might just have nudged it into my field of vision).