Friday, May 25, 2007

What Have I Done For Me Lately?

Sorry for the lack of activity around here but, as John Cleese said one one of the Monty Python shopkeeper sketches, I think it was the Dead Parrot Sketch, “I’m sorry, I have a cold”. If it wasn’t that one, it was the Cheese Shop Sketch (“Oh dear, the cat’s eaten it”) or the Adventure Holiday Sketch (“Bounder of adventure” - which Michael Palin turned into arguably the most successful of the post-Python careers, although not the most interesting, that surely goes to Terry Gilliam who has made a career out of magnificent failures*).

*Speaking of Terry Gilliam, we recently exposed the boys to “Time Bandits”. They were right into it. What I found surprising was how much a seven year old and a nine year old were able to bring to the movie, much more than even I could as an adult and watching it for the third time. “Oh, look, it’s Theseus and the minotaur.” “There’s Little John.” Perhaps education standards today are not as low as wot some people say they is.