Nightmare scenario of the day:
1. India, provoked by one too many terrorist attacks on its territory, launches a nuclear strike on Pakistan.
2. China, not wanting to miss an opportunity, attacks India.
3. Kim Jong Il fires missiles at Japan, while China takes control of Taiwan.
4. Just for the heck of it, Israel launches attacks on Iran's nuclear facilities.
5. [insert preferred doomsday option here]
By the way, not too long ago I came up with a line, which I didn't use, about the effects of global warming being counterbalanced by the effects of a nuclear winter. A week or so later the same idea appeared in a cartoon in the New Yorker. Jinx!