Sunday, January 22, 2006

In response to your recent inquiry:

1. Rowan Marks was solely and exclusively responsible for locating and procuring the sheep’s heads. To the best of my knowledge it was his idea as well. The first I knew of it was when I came home and saw them sitting on top of the fridge, looking forlorn (not to mention devoid of skin or bodies, but at least they still had their eyes).

2. No, I don’t know whose idea it was to impale the sheep’s heads onto the gateposts as a welcoming gesture.

3. I have a feeling that Russell may have had some hand in the engineering that was required in order to attach one of the sheep’s heads to rope and thence suspend it over the lamppost on Nicholson Street, hanging as it then was not a great height above the tops of passing cars, and especially trucks. I am not sure who physically tossed the rope from the balcony over the lamppost, but if I said I recall it as being “the usual suspects” you would know of whom I speak. I may have been guilty of urging them on.

4. It was Andrew Jowett who threw the other sheep’s head (or maybe it was the same one - come to think of it, what did happen to the second one?) through the open door of the passing 96 tram, as it stopped to let off passengers at the tram stop out the front of the house.