Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Will The Circle Be Unbroken?

In between moments of reading Bob Dylan's "Chronicles: Volume One"; watching the "No Direction Home" DVD (courtesy of Kateena at work, whose lasting achievement has been the naming of my office as Stan's Den Of Funk); attempting the impossible task of looking through every page of every issue of the New Yorker from 1925 to 2005 (seemed like a good idea at the time until its overwhelming nature, erm, overwhelmed me); trying to give at least a cursory listen to the currently 1,069 songs that I have downloaded but not listened to; and discovering that gardening really is the new rock and roll, I have taken the time to update the links that appear at the right of your screen.

In related news, I have decided that the key to Dylan is early in the song "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright", where he sings "If'n you don't know by now": he could have just as conveniently and conventionally said "if", but chose "if'n" instead. This is so clearly the mark of greatness I can't believe I have overlooked it until now. Didn't fIREHOSE [sic] put out an album called "If'n"? Obviously Mike Watt was hipped up to this long before I was.