Friday, April 29, 2005

Hazards of modern life

I now have, let me see, around 600 songs that I have downloaded but not listened to. That is something like two days consecutive listening. It keeps growing. It's starting to mess with my head. I may just have to abandon them en masse and start again. Is anyone else having this problem?

My feeling is that the whole post-punk/new wave revival may have run its course. When you listen to a song by a freshfaced young band and your first and only response is "It's the Cars", it's probably time to move on to the next thing.

And yet: to keep the music industry happy, I spent some hard-earned on the latest M. Ward album, "Transistor Radio". It might not contain anything as remarkable as "Sad, Sad Song" or "Let's Dance", from "Transfiguration of Vincent", but what he does he does well, and is worth doing, so I'm sure it will be a keeper.