Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Under Heavy Manners

Maybe I have been looking in all the wrong places, but did anybody even know that Fripp and Eno had been working together again? And then there's an album review on Pitchfork. After checking that it wasn't April 1, I sat back and asked myself how I felt about this unexpected development. After all, both of their careers have been patchy at best for the past 20 years. Eno's only two really indispensable albums since "Apollo" have been "Thursday Afternoon" (the reason I bought a CD player in the first place: Brian Eno as progenitor of the Killer App) and the collaboration with Jah Wobble, "Spinner". Fripp, meanwhile, was involved in the only David Sylvian record that is anything less than indispensable. And the unreleased tracks on "The Essential [sic - where was "An Index of Metals"?] Fripp and Eno", entitled "Healthy Colours I-IV", seem to be little more than off-cuts or prototypes of Talking Heads' "Electricity". So I don't think I will by tying myself up in agonising knots of indecision the way I did with Kraftwerk's "Tour de France Soundtracks" (what a fool I was). But I am at least intrigued to hear what direction the two boffins might have pushed themselves in this time around.