Friday, March 19, 2004

Snakes and ladders

Whatever happened to the cardboard football ladders that used to be given away by the ANZ Bank each year at the start of the footy season? They were good advertising for the bank (I don't know too many homes whose fridge door didn't support one) and indispensable to football obsessives. I remember each Saturday afternoon ritually swapping around the positions of the teams to reflect the results of the weekend's games (and then checking my ladder against the one shown on the ABC news that evening to make sure my calculations were correct - percentages are a tricky thing). And then a friend or cousin would come over and put their own team on top and Melbourne on the bottom. Or occasionally I would put Melbourne on top just to see what that might feel like.

As for Scanlan's footy cards, well, Darren can tell you much more about those than I can.